Friday, January 25, 2008

More Brain fodder.

Hey guys, I apologise for the hiatus. I have been incredibly busy with exams but do not fret because the blog is back....hopefully.

This is a new web address. If you are interested in my 2 whole posts from before check out http://nutrition-dietandexercise.blogspot.com It contained a variety of good stuff including what tasty foods precipitate your metabolism and different types of 'brain food'.

YERBA MATE
My first post advocated the consumption of green tea. Although green tea is an anti-dioxidant powerhouse, along with white tea- I have recently discovered a more nutritous drink-Yerba Mate. Yerba Mate is the national drink of Argentina and it has a slightly earthly taste. It has on average, 90% more antidioxidants than green tea, not to mention a cache of B-vitamins and Chromium. If you're worried about your caffeine intake, this drink has 1/3 the caffeine of coffee. Yerba mate is renowned for
stimulating your metabolism
improved mental cognition
anti-aging (due to the antidioxidants)
curbing your appetite
This tea can be found at any Trader Joes or Whole Foods (around 5 bones for 25 sachets). Also, if you're looking for teas with a twist, try Trader Joes "pomegranate white tea" or "blueberry green tea". These cost a little over 2 dollars for 20 sachets so they are definetely worth the price!

SALMON
All my friends are probably sick of how much I talk about salmon. Simply put, salmon is THE superfood.
the omega-3s attribute to a lowering of LDL cholestorol (the bad cholesterol)
salmon is a premium source of protein
EPA and DHA, the fatty acids in salmon, facilitate neuron activity and provoke the neurotransimtters that help you focus
it tastes amazing

-in my next post, I want to focus on cholesterol-specifically what foods help combat this problem . I'm also going to take a non-traditional approach and argue why foods such as bacon and eggs may actually lower LDL cholesterol. I'm going to focus on the deception of food labels and why it's not the concentration of cholesterol that matters, but rather the ratio of HDL to LDL levels.

No comments: